We have a global reputation for producing sought after graduates and are:
• Ranked 1st as being the most targeted University by top graduate recruiters in the 2021 UK High Fliers Research report.
• 11th for employability in the Guardian University Guide 2021.
• Ranked as 85th in the world for employer reputation by QS World University rankings.
• Listed as 10th in the UK in The Global Employability University Ranking 2020 in the Times Higher Education, which lists the top 250 universities most frequently selected by global employers.
In the College of Medical and Dental Sciences our Times Graduate Prospects score (based on the 2017/18 Graduate Outcomes survey) is 95.1% for UK First Degree graduates, rising to 96.4% in graduate-level work or study for Postgraduate Researchers 15 months after leaving. Across all respondents to the Graduate Outcomes survey from MDS, over 95% agreed that their activity post-graduation was ‘meaningful’, with 93% stating that their ambitions were ‘on track’.
A high proportion of our postgraduate research students go onto roles such as Research fellow/ postdoctoral researcher, medical writer, scientist/ research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry, and clinical trial coordinator.
Employers include the NHS Trusts, Cancer Research UK, pharma and biotech companies (including Astrazeneca, Covance, Binding Site, Immunocore, Johnson and Johnson), Medical Communications agencies (e.g. Fishawack, Insight Medical Writing), the Armed Forces and the University of Birmingham.
Career support through Career Network
A PhD is the highest level of academic achievement available and vital for the continued professional development of scientists. Completing a PhD at Birmingham will extend your knowledge base in your chosen subject, as well as enhancing your problem solving and analytical; communication and teaching; and leadership and management skills – all of which are valued across the academic and private sectors. It will also enable you to provide you with the opportunity to develop your network of peers, collaborators and colleagues to support your onward career.
Whatever path you choose to take as a postgraduate researcher, the University offers guidance and support in all aspects of planning your next step. Our resources include:
- Alumni biographies and talks to learn more about their career journey and reflect on the journey you may follow after completing your PhD;
- Resources for writing industry or academic specific applications, CVs and cover letters;
- Up to date information about the PhD labour market;
- Career planning guide;
- Job searching resources both for roles within academia and non-academia;
- Training and skills development workshops for postgraduate researchers;
- Access to the Postgraduate Enterprise Summer School
- Virtual Consultancy Challenge
- 1-1 Business start-up advice
Find out more on our Careers Network for Postgraduate Researchers web pages.
Our Careers Network offers free online resources, face to face consultation and also runs the Global Careers blog, with posts about having a career abroad and international graduates building a career in the UK. International students are also supported via the Global Careers event series, designed for international students, focusing on country or industry specific job applications and interview skills.
Events in the past have included:
- Hays Asia recruitment event - for offices across China, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Malaysia
- Global opportunities at Amazon
- Global University Career Development Conference (GUCDC)
- LinkedIn group for international students and alumni from the University of Birmingham to connect