Project management and research governance is an optional module in the Clinical Health Research MRes programme and can be taken as a component of other health related courses, or as a stand-alone module.
The content of the module reflects five specific themes surrounding research governance:
- Introduction to the science and principles of research governance
- Ethics in research
- Information and documentation
- Project management, finance and intellectual property
- Health & safety and employment within research
You will initially consider the development of knowledge in relation to cultural and ethical dimensions of research, and critically consider the theory and practice of Good Clinical Practice (GCP). You will explore the systems involved in securing ethical approval for research and the regulations arising from the UK policy framework for health and social care research (HRA, 2017). This module will also critically review the essentials involved in effective project management including pre-project planning, developing realistic time frames and effective time management.
The module is delivered via online sessions and discussion forums. There will be opportunities for you to network online with other students to support each other's learning. There will also be opportunities to interact with experienced researchers in online discussions of the modules themes.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate evidential understanding of the main aspects of research governance
- Critically analyse professional, transferable and application skills necessary to carry out research in a patient centred manner attributable to Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
- Critically evaluate the project management skills required to undertake high quality research
- Be sensitive to the risk of vulnerabilities of patients and carers who maybe participating in health related research
Module attendance required
Distance online learning supplemented with discussion forums and individual tutorials on request.
You will also be required to complete the National Institute for Health and Care Research eLearning course on ‘Introduction to Good Clinical Practice’
Academics involved in the delivery of this module
Nikolaos Efstathiou - Programme Lead Health Research (MRes) for nursing and midwifery
Telephone: +44 (0)121 415 8587
Stand alone course
This module can be taken as a stand alone course if required. To apply, please contact the Programme Administrator:
Tel: +44 (0)121 414 4061
Fee if taken as a stand alone course
Please contact the programme administrator for the most up to date fee
Entry requirements if taken as a stand alone course
Evidence of ability to study at Masters level if undertaking the module as part of CPD stand alone option.