The University of Birmingham School of Dentistry is an acknowledged world leader in innovative online dental education. This new blended learning MSc in Restorative Dentistry has been designed and developed by a large team of experts, with an awareness of the needs of contemporary dentists.
The course will deliver progressive study through Certificate, Diploma and MSc levels providing you with detailed understanding and clinical skills for successful, predictable and enjoyable advanced restorative dentistry.
Teaching during the two-year course is delivered online and in two face-to-face residential courses in a highly accessible format designed by the School of Dentistry’s professional e-learning team. This two-year distance learning MSc programme will provide advanced training in the subjects most commonly carried out in clinical practice:
- Direct restorations
- Fixed and removable prosthodontics
While the primary aim of this course is to enhance the quality and predictability of patient care, study for the MSc is expected to significantly increase dentist’s professional satisfaction and confidence when carrying out a wide range of restorative procedures.
The high level of practical content will take you through a unique programme of structured simulation and clinical exercises carried out both in practice and on the residential courses.
You will be provided with your own specialised models. By following the innovative series of step-by-step practical exercises, you will be able to optimise the latest restorative materials and equipment, and master advanced clinical techniques for a comprehensive range of treatments.
We expect the development of Masters level clinical skills to significantly increase your employability options, increase your potential for private income and access to prospective NHS advanced care pathways. Professional enhancement resulting from your MSc may also increase the potential for referrals of patients requiring advanced restorative management.
You will be supported at all stages by friendly, engaged tutors and will take part in the highly popular social programme based at the University’s outstanding campus. Finally, with no traditional written examinations, you can expect an enjoyable period of study, which will bring career-long rewards.
Study materials are divided into seven interlinked modules over two years (for details on individual module content please see the module tab below):
- Modules 1 and 2 focus on theoretical aspects covering the fundamental principles of restorative dentistry
- Modules 3 – 6 are predominantly practical and are designed to help you master a comprehensive range of restorative procedures. The practical modules will provide advanced training in the four subject areas most commonly carried out in clinical practice:
- Direct restorative techniques
- Fixed and removable prosthodontics
- Module 7 - Over the two-year programme you will carry out clinical work on your own patients and compile a comprehensive portfolio of procedures demonstrating advanced skill in all aspects of world-class, evidence-based, restorative dentistry. Module 7 will also provide the opportunity for focused study on a restorative subject of personal interest.
Why study this course?
- Designed by world renowned experts to help you master procedures most commonly carried out in clinical practice to an advanced level
- Unique MSc programme design combines evidence-based theory with a high percentage of practical simulation and clinical exercises
- Programme is designed to provide enjoyable, easy-to-follow, clinically relevant study resources
- Accessible distance learning programme, designed to fit the schedule of busy GDPs, can be completed in two years
- Personal 24/7 access to one of the world's most advanced online dental education platforms
- Free online access to journals and text books from the University of Birmingham's dental and medical libraries
- 24/7 access to online lectures and resources from renowned experts in every dental speciality
- One-to-one online advice and guidance in dental photography via www.dentalphotographyinpractice.com
- The opportunity to interact online with peers from around the world