Al Qasimi Foundation's Artist-in-Residence Award
- Level of study
- Any Postgraduate
- Subject area
- Film and Creative Writing, History of Art
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closes 30/09/2019
The Al Qasimi Foundation's Artist-in-Residence Program provides opportunities for visiting local and international artists to produce new works and engage in cultural exchange with the Ras Al Khaimah community. Applications are welcome from all nationalities and artistic media, with resident artists based in the Al Qasimi Foundation’s Studio & Gallery space.
Visiting artists are encouraged to draw inspiration from the Emirates as they work on personal projects and to share their talent with the local community by leading art workshops and classes. Residencies are for 6-12 months and include an exhibition in the Studio & Gallery and the potential to engage the community in developing a public art installation.
Value of Award
The program covers all expenses associated with the residency, including return airfares, furnished accommodation for up to twelve months, a modest monthly stipend for living expenses, and art supplies budget. Visiting artists will have use of the Foundation’s Studio & Gallery, a purpose-designed multi-functional arts space, for their personal projects and engagement activities.
Prospective applicants to the Artist-in-Residence Program should meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Degree in studio or fine arts or established portfolio of equivalent experience.
- Practicing artist or filmmaker working in the following media: Drawing, Film, Jewelry, Mixed Media, Painting, Photography, Sculpture, Textiles; Participated in at least one solo exhibition OR two group exhibitions OR one film festival in the last three years.
- Demonstrated experience teaching or helping others to explore different artistic media through hands-on workshops and activities.
- Evidence for how prior formal and informal cultural exchange experiences provided inspiration for personal creative practice and artistic expression.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- At least 21 years of age by the time the proposed residency would take place.
- Not enrolled in other residency or academic programs during the proposed residency period at the Foundation.
- Additionally, Arabic language skills, documented community art projects, and experience working with individuals of different ages and cultural backgrounds are considered assets. Due to space limitations, residencies can only be offered for individuals – artist collectives should not apply.
How to Apply
The application form, along with the detailed information on the application process, can be found on the Al Qasimi Foundation website.