British Lebanese Association Scholarship Fund
- Level of study
- Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
- Type of Award
- Charity/Trust, External
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 30/11/2017 (Note: competition closed for this year)
The British Lebanese Association (BLA) Scholarship Fund was established in 1985 as part of the BLA's initiative to contribute towards rebuilding national capabilities after a decade of conflict. The Fund has a central part in achieving the aims of the BLA. Since being set up the Fund has helped many young Lebanese pursue post graduate studies and training in the UK giving them an opportunity to acquire skills and experiences not available in Lebanon. BLA scholarships are currently offered in partnership with the Said Foundation and with a financial contribution from the Arab British Chamber of Commerce Cultural Fund. At present, the BLA Fund aims to provide two or three full or partial scholarships a year to eligible graduates wishing to pursue a Masters degree or similar in the UK. The scheme is administered by the British Council in Beirut.
Value of Award
Scholarships are currently offered in partnership with the Saïd Foundation. At present, the BLA Fund provides two or three full or partial scholarships a year to eligible graduates wishing to pursue a Masters degree in the UK.
The scholarships are intended for those normally unable to afford a full time Masters course in the UK and scholars with the declared intention of returning to the Lebanon to use their additional qualification to the country’s benefit will be given priority.
If you wish to be considered for a joint Saïd Foundation / BLA scholarship you must check that you meet all the relevant eligibility requirements and, in addition to submitting a Saïd Foundation scholarship application, you must also submit online applications to the British Lebanese Association by their respective deadline.
As British Lebanese Assocation and Said Foundation funds are limited, both organisations set strict criteria and priorities for applicants. For the academic year 2018/19 the criteria are as follows:
- awards for British Lebanese Assocation funding are intended for Lebanese nationals normally resident in Lebanon
- scholarships are offered for postgraduate study or training only. Applications for undergraduate study cannot be considered
- evidence of proficiency in English is required and must be at the level required by the chosen academic institution in the UK
- applicants must hold a first degree of a high enough standard to indicate that they are likely to complete successfully their proposed course of study at a British university or other higher education institution
- applicants cannot be considered if they have not followed the proper application procedures for the chosen UK academic institution and completed the online scholarship application form to be found on the website of the Said Foundation
- priority will be given to candidates who have some work experience and who can demonstrate that their studies will benefit their field of work on return to Lebanon. If candidates do not have work experience, evidence of voluntary or community activities or participation in activities whilst at university will be taken into consideration
- applicants are required to demonstrate that they have the potential to be leaders in their field
- applications from candidates whose siblings or spouses are currently being supported by the Foundation cannot be considered
- applications from students who already have partial funding under another programme may be considered.
- You must have your graduate qualification before you can apply for one of our ‘Masters Degree Scholarships’, even if means waiting for a year.
- You must complete the application form for both the Saïd Foundation and BLA in order for your application to be considered.
- You should also note that the Fund prefers applicants who have some work experience.
How to Apply
BLA scholarships are currently offered in partnership with the Saïd Foundation and prospective candidate should go to the Saïd Foundation website for further information on the programme and to complete the application form online.
Once an application to the Saïd Foundation is completed, visit the BLA Scholarship website; complete the application form and upload required documents.
Doctoral Research Enquiry Service
0121 414 5005