College of Social Sciences Doctoral Research Scholarships
- Level of study
- Doctoral research
- Subject area
- Social Sciences
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- None. Open all year.
The College of Social Sciences is a vibrant, research-intensive environment for postgraduate research. With over 500 PhD students from every continent, our student body bring their diverse knowledge and skills to developing research at the cutting edge of the social sciences, which goes on to have impact beyond the academy – in business, education, government and social policy.
Our postgraduate researchers are embedded within our four schools, or one of our internationally-recognised research centres. As well as excellent supervision, from academics at the forefront of their discipline, we offer an extensive range of training opportunities, opportunities for personal and professional development, and students are based in state-of-the-art facilities on a campus that is being transformed by major investment.
Value of Award
School Scholarships will cover Home/EU fees for 3 years full time (or 6 years part time), plus some research and training expenses, subject to satisfactory progress. In some cases, Schools will also offer a stipend or will cover fees for non-EU students. Please contact individual Schools for further details.
Applicants for School scholarships who are eligible for ESRC scholarships will be expected to apply for one as a condition of their award.
Outstanding applicants will be considered in all areas of research strength in the College. We anticipate that those to whom we offer funding:
- Will have obtained either a first class or very strong upper second class degree in social sciences or a closely-related subject.
- May also have obtained a relevant Masters’ degree, with the award of a distinction or merit.
- Will have formulated a strong research proposal demonstrating the potential to make an original contribution in their chosen field of study.
- Will be able to clearly articulate how their proposed research will contribute to the research strengths of the College.
How to Apply
The deadlines for scholarship applications will vary:
- School of Government Research Scholarships - 30 November 2019
- School of Education Doctoral Studentship - 22 January 2020
- School of Social Policy Doctoral Scholarship - 22 January 2020
- Birmingham Business School Doctoral Scholarships - 27 April 2020
Further information regarding the process and timetable for applying for these funding opportunities can be found on the College of Social Sciences website.
Enquiries regarding postgraduate research opportunities in each School may be directed to the following: