Croucher Scholarships for Doctoral Study
- Level of study
- Doctoral research
- Subject area
- Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences
- Hong Kong
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 15/11/2019 (Note: competition closed for this year)
The Croucher Foundation is a private endowment set up in 1979 and permanently domiciled in Hong Kong, with the objective of promoting excellence in natural sciences, technology and medicine in Hong Kong. One of the Foundation’s regular funding initiatives is to provide financial support for promising young people in Hong Kong to pursue scientific research at postdoctoral and doctoral levels.
Value of Award
A Croucher Scholarship normally comprises of the following:
- An annual maintenance allowance which is set at USD 30,300 per annum.
- One economy class single air fare at both the beginning and end of the period of the award.
- Tuition fees and college fees (where applicable).
- A one-off arrival allowance of USD 1,000 to cover the costs of arriving in a new country during the first year of tenure.
- An academic development allowance of up to USD2,000 per annum to allow Croucher Scholarship recipients to attend conferences, workshops or courses during the tenure of their awards.
- A medical insurance allowance of up to USD 2,000 per annum to cover medical insurance costs.
- A family allowance of up to USD 16,000 per annum for the first child and up to USD 6,800 per annum for every additional child who resides with the scholar during the entire duration of the award.
- A commencement award of USD 7,575 to be offered towards the end of doctoral studies to cover the cost of thesis preparation and travel expenses for scholars and their family members attending their graduation ceremonies.
- A science education allowance to offer support to those Croucher award recipients particularly interested in science education through well-designed activities and projects in schools and in the wider community. Interested scholars are invited to submit proposals to the Foundation for consideration of a programme of activities designed to involve school students, teachers, families and/or other non-specialist audiences in dialogue and debate, within the tenure of their awards.
The awards offered by the Croucher Foundation are intended to enable applicants who are permanent residents of Hong Kong to devote themselves to a period of full-time study or research in natural sciences, medicine or technology in approved academic institutions outside Hong Kong. They are intended for those engaged in full-time study leading to a PhD degree.
Applicants must have obtained First Class Honours in their first degree. Otherwise they will be expected to be able to receive substantively an MPhil degree by September 2020 to become eligible (MPhil transfer to doctoral candidature is not considered as equivalent).
Students in their final year of first degree studies may also apply, but any offer of award will be conditional on their obtaining First Class Honours upon their graduation by July 2020.
How to Apply
The online application form, as well as full details of the application process, can be found on the Croucher Foundation website.
For the 2020-21 selection exercise, applications should be submitted by 5 p.m. (Hong Kong time) on 15th November 2019 at the latest.