Education for Sustainable Energy Development (ESED) Scholarship
- Level of study
- Postgraduate research masters, Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences
- Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Republic of the, Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, The, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, North, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestinian Territories, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 09/03/2018 (Note: competition closed for this year)
The purpose of the ESED scholarship is to support outstanding students pursuing advanced studies in sustainable energy development and to encourage meaningful contributions to the collective body of knowledge about this subject.
Created in the wake of the 1992 Rio Summit, the Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership, who funds the Scholarship, is a non-profit international organization, composed of the world’s leading electricity companies, whose mission is to play an active role in global electricity issues within the international framework and to promote sustainable energy development through electricity sector projects and human capacity building activities in developing and emerging nations worldwide.
The Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership has had a long-standing commitment to education under the rubric of its capacity-building initiatives. In 2001, the Partnership reinforced this commitment by establishing the Education for Sustainable Energy Development (ESED) scholarship program to support scholars from developing countries and economies in transition in their pursuit of advanced studies related to sustainable energy development. The ESED program offers Masters level scholarship to outstanding students from developing countries and economies in transition, for a period of up to two years.
Value of Award
Scholarships of US$ 23,000 per year for up to two years are offered for Masters-level students. Up to ten Masters scholarships will be awarded annually.
The Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership considers an outstanding student to be one who:
- graduates with excellent grades in the top 20% of her/his class
- is determined to advance her/his knowledge and understanding
- has a history of community involvement
- is committed to sustainable energy
- is committed to return and contribute to her/his home country
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, students must
- plan to undertake studies at the Masters level in areas directly related to sustainable energy development
- be citizens of the developing countries and territories identified for OECD official development aid in the DAC List of ODA Recipients
How to Apply
Details of the application process and the application form can be found on the scholarship website.
The deadline to apply for the 2018-2019 ESED Master’s Scholarship will be March 9, 2018. All documents must be uploaded by the deadline. All documents uploaded after the deadline will not be considered.
Applications will open in mid-January 2018.
Doctoral Research Enquiry Service
0121 414 5005