IET Postgraduate Scholarship
- Level of study
- Doctoral research, Postgraduate research masters
- Subject area
- Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electronic, Electrical and Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 05/04/2018 (Note: competition closed for this year)
For PhD or EngD researchers in their third or fourth year of research, to assist with advanced research work leading to the award of a Doctorate, with a preference towards electrical, electronic or manufacturing engineering.
The IET Postgraduate Scholarships aim to encourage excellence in engineering research at universities in the United Kingdom.
These scholarships are financed from bequests given to the IET by the late P.S. Hudswell (a former member of the IET) who left a substantial bequest to assist members with research, and the late Joseph William Beauchamp, who left a bequest to assist members with their education.
Two scholarships are available each year. They are worth a maximum of £2,500 each and are tenable for one year.
Value of Award
Two awards of £2,500
- Postgraduate awards are for members of the Institution of Engineering and Technology and are open to the following categories of IET membership: Student, TMIET, MIET and FIET. Associate and lapsed members are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have been a member of the IET for at least one year by the closing date for applications
- Applicants do not need to be professionally registered engineers. However, applicants are expected to satisfy the educational requirements for Registration as either a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer.
- Applicants need to have started their PhD or EngD research programme by the closing date for applications and achieved at least a 2:1 (or equivalent) in their first degree. MSc courses and MRes degrees are not eligible.
- The scholarship maybe held in addition to a Student Loan, research grant, company bursaries or similar. However, candidates may not be in receipt of any other IET Scholarship or Grant.
- A reference will need to be sent independently by the referee.
- Awarded on a competitive basis, applications are assessed by the Scholarships Committee.
- The Committee will consider applicants for all postgraduate awards for which they meet the eligibility requirements
- Successful applicants may only receive an IET Postgraduate Scholarship or Prize during their PhD research.
How to Apply
Application details are available on the organisation's website.
Doctoral Research Enquiry Service
0121 414 5005