Martin Lynn Scholarship
- Level of study
- Doctoral research
- Subject area
- African Studies
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 10/06/2019 (Note: competition closed for this year)
The RHS makes an annual Martin Lynn Scholarship award to assist a postgraduate researcher of African history.
Value of Award
- Eligible students will be registered for a PhD or DPhil. Students must be registered at a UK institution. Students may be full-time or part-time.
- Eligible students will have successfully completed their first year of full-time or first two years of part-time study by the time the award is taken up.
- Applications are open to researchers of all nationalities, however the Society does not normally fund students to do research in their own country of permanent residence if this is outside the United Kingdom.
- Applications will NOT be considered for research to be conducted within the four weeks immediately following the deadline.
- Grants cannot be sought retrospectively.
How to Apply
- You should complete the application form available through the Martin Lynn Scholarship website. A copy will be emailed to your referee, who will be asked to provide a reference. No application will be considered without a supporting academic reference.
- If your application to the Martin Lynn Scholarship is unsuccessful, your request for funding will automatically be considered under the Society’s Research Expenses scheme which offers grants of up to £750. You do not need to apply to both schemes.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application within one month of the closing date for applications.
- If your application is successful, you will need to provide proof of expenditure before any grant is paid to you. This may be done prior to travel or after travel but the grant must be claimed within six months of the date of the award. If you are unable to claim the award within six months and do not inform the Society, you will be deemed to have forfeited the offer of the grant.
- If you have already purchased travel tickets, please do not submit these with your application. If your application is successful, you will be sent full details on how to claim the grant.
- Successful applicants will be required to provide a full report on the uses to which the grant has been put and the outcome in terms of contribution to the progress of the research within one month of completion of the proposed research.