The Al Qasimi Foundation's Doctoral Research Grants
- Level of study
- Doctoral research
- Subject area
- Law, Environmental Risk Management, Environmental Sciences, Economic Development and Regeneration, Economics, Education, Health Services Management, International Development, International Public Administration, International Relations, Political Science, Social Studies, Sociology, Urban and Regional Studies
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closes 01/03/2020
The Al Qasimi Foundation's Doctoral Research Grants encourage scholars from a wide range of disciplines and professional fields to undertake research toward informing policymaking in the United Arab Emirates. The Grants are open to PhD students from all nationalities studying Education, Arts & Culture, Public Health, Community Development, or Philanthropy at an accredited university in the United Arab Emirates or abroad. Currently, two awards are available each year for applied research projects that have Ras Al Khaimah as a primary site for data gathering and analysis.
Value of Award
Doctoral Research Grants financially support PhD candidates in the research phase of their dissertations. The Grant covers all student expenses associated with their field research in the United Arab Emirates, including return airfares, furnished accommodation for up to 12 months, a stipend to cover living costs, and research support.
The minimum eligibility criteria for prospective applicants seeking Doctoral Research Grants:
- Applicant must be a current PhD student at an accredited university in good academic standing.
- Applicant must have a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 85 or IELTS score of 6.5 if English is a secondary language.
- Applicant must have all PhD coursework completed and be ready to conduct the field research component of his/her dissertation.
- Applicant must have a research proposal that is approved (or is in the process of being approved) by the applicant’s advisor and graduate program. The approved proposal should include a literature review and significant detail on research methodology.
- The proposed research must have Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval from the applicant's home institution.
- The proposed research must focus on the United Arab Emirates, and specifically the emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. If the research proposal includes other locations, Ras Al Khaimah must be a significant focus for data gathering and analysis.
- Proposed research must address an education, public policy, or closely related social science issue or question. Relevant topics (dependent on research question) may include areas such as education, urban planning/development, public health, economic development, food access, and energy or environmental policy.
Please note: The following research areas do not qualify for Doctoral Research Grants because they are not considered policy-related: business or marketing, agronomy, engineering, IT or computer science, laboratory-based or scientific studies, and medical degrees.
How to Apply
The application form, along with the detailed information on the application process, can be found on the Al Qasimi Foundation website.