The Henry Lester Trust
- Level of study
- Doctoral research, Postgraduate research masters, Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Drama and Theatre Arts, History, Modern Languages and Cultures, Philosophy, Theology and Religion, Medicine and Medical Sciences
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- None. Open all year.
The Henry Lester Trust Limited, named after Henry Lester who spent most of his life in Shanghai and who died there in 1926, is providing financial support in form of a grant to Chinese citizens currently studying at a United Kingdom university or research establishment at postgraduate level or higher.
Value of Award
The current maximum norm for a grant is £3,500 in any one year.
Candidates must be:
- Citizens of the People's Republic of China.
- Currently studying at a United Kingdom university or research establishment at postgraduate level or higher.
- Studying or researching in the subject areas of architecture (to include civic planning, construction management, etc), medicine, computer development, and mechanical sciences.
- Provide formal written support of the applicant's professor, head of department or similar senior person.
- Intend to return to China and for the knowledge and skill obtained to be for the benefit of the people of China generally.
- No grants are given for study or research outside the United Kingdom or for seminars or conferences.
- Particular emphasis is given:
- to those who seek support for (so far unfunded) studies (in terms of extra material, technical assistance or extra tuition) which are required to achieve the aim of, or enhance, the course.
- for living costs of those who can show that the final successful achievement, of the studies in the UK to which they are already committed, are being negatively effected for some reason by a lack of finance.
How to Apply
Full details of the application process can be found on the Great Britain China Centre website.
Please note: applications deadline falls on 15th of the following months: November, February, April and June. In exceptional circumstances applications can be considered at any time.