The Spalding Trust
- Level of study
- Doctoral research, Postgraduate research masters, Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Theology and Religion
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- None. Open all year.
The Trust was founded by Mr and Mrs H.N. Spalding in the 1920s to promote a better understanding between the great cultures of the world by encouraging the study of the religious principles on which they are based.
Value of Award
Up to £2,000.
In the case of individuals, a grant may be offered, for example, to support the costs involved in a research project or the cost of publication of the results of research.
- The Trustees are particularly interested in research projects which are backed by a professional ability to raise the standard of knowledge of religious principles and practices, and to interpret their relation to contemporary society.
- The Trustees are willing to consider applications for assistance with travelling expenses, but they would need to be assured that they would thereby be supporting projects that have a specific bearing on the Trust's interests.
- In general, the Trustees are reluctant to approve requests for assistance with the expenses of undertaking or completing first-degree courses.
- The Trust's resources do not permit assistance to applicants to whom adequate other sources of finance are available. In a number of cases, the grant may be offered only in support of major funding from elsewhere.
- No grant may be offered for a study or project within the context of the applicant's own religion unless there is likely to be a significant result in the improvement of inter-religious understanding. Trustees do not normally make grants retrospectively for a project that has already been undertaken.
In special circumstances Trustees will consider applications for recurrent grants that may extend over one year; normally they expect an application to be made on each occasion that a grant is requested.
How to Apply
Guidelines for application can be found on the Spalding Trust website.
Applications are considered monthly by Trustees but only after receipt of all the details requested. It is usual for Trustees to take three months to reach a decision on an application; applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application as soon as possible.