Woltmann Research Masters Scholarship
- Level of study
- Postgraduate research masters
- Subject area
- Modern Languages and Cultures
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 27/05/2021 (Note: competition closed for this year)
The Department of Modern Languages is pleased to offer five Home fees-only bursaries for students beginning research Masters programmes (MA by Research, MRes) in 2021-2022, available from the Paul and Henry Woltmann Bequest.
Value of Award
The bursaries will cover the cost of Home fees (or a contribution towards International fees).
These bursaries are available for full-time and part-time on campus study (MRes or MA by Research) and Distance Learning MA by Research. Applications in all fields of study are welcome, but preference may be given to applications in the following particularly vibrant departmental research areas:
- (Peripheral) Modernisms
- The Global South
- Exile, Migration and/or Cultural Memory
- Digital Cultures/Digital Humanities in Modern Languages
- Romance linguistics
- Literature and Popular Culture
- Environmental Humanities and Modern Languages
- Literature and the Visual Arts
- Histories, languages and cultures before 1700
Applications from BME candidates are particularly welcome.
Please check our programme details and staff research profiles. We advise making contact with a prospective supervisor before applying for the bursary.
The bursaries are available to students who commence their study at the start of the 2021 academic year. These awards are not available to current Masters students.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, please complete the following steps:
- Before applying to the scholarship, you must have completed an application to study a relevant course at Birmingham. To make an application to study, please visit your chosen course's webpage and click the 'Apply now' button in the centre of the page.
- Complete the online application form for the Woltmann Research Masters Scholarship. Your application must also be supported by two references.
- Submit your references before 27th May by asking your referees to complete the online form for referees. Your application must also be supported by two references. It is your responsibility to forward the link to both of your nominated referees and tell them that their references must be submitted via the online form by the application deadline. We would advise you to contact your referees ahead of the deadline to ensure that references have been completed and submitted. Only references completed on the relevant online reference form will be accepted. Late references will not be considered.
The deadline for applying has now passed.
By applying, you will be automatically considered for relevant College of Arts and Law scholarships. Only complete applications submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions which may help to answer many of the questions you have about the awards.
If you have any further queries, please email Dr. Lorraine Ryan at email@example.com.