Council for British Research in the Levant Travel Grants
- Level of study
- Any Postgraduate, Any Undergraduate
- Subject area
- Antiquity, Archaeology, Classics and Ancient History, Heritage, History, History of Art, Modern Languages and Cultures, Theology and Religion, International Relations
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- External, Research Council
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 13/01/2020 (Note: competition closed for this year)
Due to the ongoing circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the Council for British Research in Levant research funding remains on hold. The CBRL is hoping to open applications for its awards in spring 2021. Updates will be published on the CBRL webpage.
CBRL Travel Grants are offered to enable individuals undertaking study or research in the humanities and social sciences at Doctoral or Postdoctoral level to travel in the countries of the Levant (Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Cyprus and Syria) in connection with their work.
The aims of the Travel Grant programme are to give students the opportunity to travel in the region, to encourage the development of new research, and to support minor research projects (particularly for postgraduate degrees), which must be done in the region.
Value of Award
The maximum level of a Travel Grant is £800.
Travel Grants are available for the direct costs of travel and maintenance away from home. They are not available for personal maintenance at home or for attending conferences.
Application is open to anyone who:
- is a CBRL member (you may apply for membership when you submit your application for the award) AND
- is of British nationality OR
- is normally resident in the UK OR
- is registered as a student in a UK university
Please note that awards cannot be made retrospectively for travel that has already begun. This means that the travel to be supported by a grant applied for in the present round of applications, for which the closing date is 13 January 2020, must not have started before 31 March 2020; if the application is successful, the grant may not be claimed before 1 April 2020.
How to Apply
Application forms for Travel Grants should be obtained by downloading from the Council for British Research in the Levant website.