Zibby Garnett Travelling Fellowship
- Level of study
- Doctoral research, Postgraduate research masters
- Subject area
- Heritage, History, History of Art
- EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 12/03/2021 (Note: competition closed for this year)
The Zibby Garnett Travel Fellowship is a charity giving financial help to individual students and apprentices to broaden their understanding of conservation worldwide. The students travel to relevant countries of interest, studying regional heritage craft and conservation techniques, and bring these skills back to the UK.
The grants are intended for practical study and conservation work. A grant can meet almost all the cost of a study placement or make a contribution.
Value of Award
Between £300 to £2000.
- To be eligible, applicants should be studying (or have recently been studying), full or part time, for a recognised degree or diploma, or be post-graduates at a university or college, or be in the formative years of their careers. They can also be trade apprentices, trainee architects or trainee landscape architects. There is no age limit.
- The awards are open to applicants resident in the United Kingdom; they do not have to be British. If they are not British, their chosen destination for their study should preferably not be their own home country (unless they can demonstrate a convincing reason connected with the field of study).
- Applicants must demonstrate how their course of study will benefit cultural heritage in the UK, either directly through practical conservation or by contributing to the UK’s knowledge base.
- The grants are for short term, individual study outside of the UK and are not for attending formal courses or conferences.
- The grants are intended for conservation and not for new work.
Before applying for a grant, applicants are responsible for choosing their own subjects and arranging their destination placements. ZGTF encourages applicants to learn new skills and widen their knowledge of their subjects. Preference is given to practical, hands-on projects, carried out under the guidance of a supervisor.
How to Apply
The application form, as well as full details of the application process, is available from the Zibby Garnett Travel Fellowship website.
Please note: for 2021 (due to COVID19) applications will be considered where the placement or course is based in the UK.