These organisations might be useful. The University of Birmingham is not responsible for content on external sites.

  • Ann Craft Trust
    UK based organisation working with staff in the statutory, independent and voluntary sectors to protect people with learning disabilities who may be at risk from abuse.
  • The Association for Real Change (ARC)
    A membership organisation, which supports providers of services to people with a learning disability to promote real change
  • BIG Lottery Fund
    BIG hands out half the good causes money from the National Lottery. We are committed to bringing real improvements to communities and the lives of people most in need.
  • British Institute of Learning Disabilities (BILD)
    Works with the government and other organisations to improve the lives of people with learning disabilities.
  • Challenging Behaviour Foundation
    Exists to show that people with severe learning disabilities who are described as having challenging behaviour can enjoy normal life opportunities when their behaviour is properly understood and appropriately managed, and to support parents and carers through education and information to enable this to happen.
    A specialist website dedicated to all areas of the social care profession.
    The International Association for the Scientific Study of Intellectual Disabilities is an organisation that promotes worldwide research and exchange of information on intellectual disabilities.
    The UK's leading learning disability charity working with people with a learning disability and their families and carers.
  • Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland
    An independent organisation working to safeguard the rights and welfare of everyone with a mental illness, learning disability or other mental disorder.
  • The National Autistic Society
    Exists to champion the rights and interests of all people with autism and to ensure that they and their families receive quality services appropriate to their needs.
  • Public Autism Research and Information Service
    Helping you find services for people with autism (including Asperger syndrome) across the UK. PARIS is provided by The National Autistic Society.
  • The Royal College of General Practitioners
    The academic organisation in the UK for GPs (General Practitioners).
  • The Royal College of Psychiatrists
    The professional and educational body for psychiatrists in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.
  • The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
    The professional body for speech and language therapists and support workers.
  • Social Care Institute for Excellence
    Works with people and organisations throughout the social care sector to identify useful information, research and examples of good practice.