The commercialisation of energy technologies and services is vital for the success of our Government’s commitment to achieve Net Zero by 2050. Yet many businesses do not have access to the support services needed to research, test and grow their innovations.
The University of Birmingham in partnership with the Energy Systems Catapult, is looking for businesses committed to driving energy technology innovation to join the Climate Innovation Platform (CIP).
Supported by HSBC UK, CIP offers businesses a package of tailored support to drive the commercialisation of innovative energy products and services.
More about the CIP Incubation Programme
CIP will support 100 SMEs over a four-year incubation programme. The ‘Low Carbon Energy Solutions, Innovator Challenge’ is aimed at supporting innovations in the following areas*:
- Innovative low carbon generation or infrastructure technologies into the built environment.
- Low carbon heating and/or cooling innovations for the built environment.
- Leveraging end user, infrastructure and network data to create new digital platforms, services and business models that accelerate the transition to net zero.
- Innovations which would accelerate the adoption of Energy from Waste.
- Innovative hydrogen generation solutions for deployment in the transport or heating sectors.
- Innovation which accelerates the adoption of electric vehicle use.
- Energy storage and smart local energy systems innovations for network optimisation.
- Solutions enabling active, interoperable control systems that deliver more efficient and flexible operation of local energy systems and/or networks.
*Other areas will be considered on a case by case basis.
As a part of the CIP your business will benefit from:
Access to funding
Support in identifying grant funding opportunities for your business and routes into investor networks.
Access to business engagement support through University of Birmingham’s ATETA programme. This programme, designed to help SMEs improve efficiency and test new ideas, offers access to research expertise and facilities as well as research and technical support from Knowledge Exchange Fellows.
Access to a range of business development support, including financial planning, start-up mentoring, market research expertise, IP protection expertise, advice on regulation and standards, grant writing and bid development, and investor access support.
Dedicated support team
A dedicated commercialisation team led by an Incubation Manager that will act as your direct point of contact for CIP services.
Tailored incubation and acceleration support from the Energy Systems Catapult to help address systemic barriers, de-risk innovation, help businesses scale and secure investment.
A select number of businesses from the CIP programme will go on to participate in HSBC’s global Climate Solutions Partnership innovation accelerator, powered by WWF’s Impactio platform, which will help further scale climate solutions, supporting business innovations in partnership with leading universities, research institutes, incubators and accelerators.
You will be invited to a programme of workshops and seminars to support the growth of your business.
The CIP team will work with you to identify and initiate new market opportunities, providing you with marketing insights and assessments into your industry.
THE CIP programme is able to offer manufacturing support including energy technology R&D, prototyping and access to a platform to test and demonstrate innovative ideas.
Shared workshop areas or a virtual presence in our incubation space at Tyseley Energy Park in the heart of Birmingham. Businesses based at Tyseley Energy Park will also have access to secure and renewable power.
To find out how the Climate Innovation Platform can support your businesses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In partnership with: