The UK government requires (as of 14 July 2021) international students arriving from amber-list countries to take a Covid-19 test prior to departure and to self-isolate at home, or in the place they are staying, for 10 days upon arrival in the UK.
If you’re travelling from a country on the amber list and have booked University or partner accommodation you will be eligible for up to 10 days' free accommodation to see you through this period of self-isolation. This is available for students who arrive from 9 September for the following six weeks. If you are arriving from a country that is on the UK Government amber list, you should follow the guidance on the Government website.
If you’re in university or partner accommodation, and to ensure that you’re fully supported over this period, you’ll also receive a free Welcome package which will include:
• A bedding pack to ensure that you can settle in
• A dining starter pack including cutlery and crockery
• Shared use of a kitchen pack, which will include pots and pans
• A food box providing food and basic essential items to support you through the 10-day period
• A ‘Welcome Box’ of gifts/freebies
• Regular calls from staff/students to check on your wellbeing and how you’re settling in
• A range of activities to make sure that you can connect with the Birmingham community from the day you arrive on campus (for example, virtual opportunities to meet others isolating, online exercise classes and virtual English language courses).
If you’ve chosen to live in private rented accommodation please speak with your provider as they can supply information to help support students arriving from amber-list countries. Closer to the star of term we’ll also provide you with more information on supermarkets and other services who deliver if you have to isolate in private accommodation when you arrive.