How can I apply for Accommodation?
Visit our Accommodation Portal and enter your 7 digit University of Birmingham student ID number – it’s at the top of your course offer letter, and might be called University ID. You can apply as soon as you receive an offer.
If you have not logged in before, you will need to click the ‘Get PIN’ link below the PIN field – an email will be sent to you with your unique portal PIN (you can change this to a memorable password once you are logged in).
Once logged in, you will need to select ‘Application/Offer’ and choose from a list of options of which type of student you are:
01) Undergraduate – New Student - you are a new Undergraduate student who wishes to live in University accommodation, or are coming on an International Exchange, Study Abroad or Erasmus programme.
02) Undergraduate - Returner - you are a current Undergraduate student who wishes to live in University accommodation in your second or subsequent years.
03) Postgraduate - New Student - you are a new Postgraduate student who wishes to live in University accommodation.
04) Postgraduate - Returner - you are a Postgraduate student and you wish to live in to University accommodation for your second or subsequent years of your Postgraduate studies.
05) Presessional Students - you are a Presessional student and you wish to live in University accommodation for the duration of your presessional course (please note that you will need to apply for your Undergraduate or Postgraduate accommodation as a separate application.
06) Birmingham International Academy Under 18 - you will be under the age of 18 when your contract starts and are part of the Birmingham International Academy process. Any other under 18 student must select the '01) Undergraduate - New Student' option.
Is there a deadline for applying for accommodation?
To qualify for our Guarantee Schemes you must submit your application by the below deadlines:
- 31 May 2018 for UK and EU undergraduates
- 31 July 2018 for international undergraduates and postgraduates
For more information please visit the Guarantee Schemes page.
How can I find out my ID number if I’ve lost my offer letter / not received my offer letter yet?
If you’ve lost your offer letter Living can tell you your student ID number if you give us your full name, date of birth and the first line of your address. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 121 414 8000.
You can contact Admissions at email@example.com or +44 (0) 121 415 8900 if you haven’t received your offer letter.
What do I do if I’ve forgotten my PIN?
You can request your PIN or memorable password by clicking ‘Get PIN’ at any time.
What should I do if I need to change my email address?
You need to email firstname.lastname@example.org with your student ID number and request to change it. Unfortunately, we are unable to make permanent changes to your personal details. Please don’t sign up with your school email address as this account is usually shut down once you leave school.
I have chosen Birmingham as my insurance choice. Should I still apply for accommodation?
Although accommodation isn’t guaranteed, we strongly encourage insurance candidates to apply as we try to house as many people as possible. By telling us your preferences we can find suitable rooms much more quickly.
If we are unable to accommodate you, we will help you to find accommodation in the private sector, either through one of our partner providers or in private housing.
I am an Exchange/Study Abroad/Erasmus student coming to Birmingham. Can I still apply for accommodation?
Yes. We can guarantee accommodation to Exchange and Study Abroad students from outside the EU who apply before July 31, whether you are here for a full year or only one semester (please note that if you are only studying at the University of Birmingham for one semester, you will not be able to live in one of our partner accommodation sites).
Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee accommodation to Erasmus students but you can still apply for accommodation. We will consider your application in late August.
Can I apply for accommodation for just one term?
You’re welcome to apply but priority will be given to students applying for accommodation for the full year.
Can I request to live with my friend?
There is an extra notes section on the application where you can make requests like these but we can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to meet all requests. Remember, both you and your friend will need to make the request for it to be considered.