Skip to main content
An image of the top of the library with the university crest on a sunny day.

Research council funding

UK Research and Innovation Doctoral Training Partnerships and Centres

The University of Birmingham currently hosts a number of Doctoral Training Partnerships and Centres for Doctoral training that are funded by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).

Our UKRI funded Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTP), Centres for Doctoral Training (CDT), and Industrial (IDC) and Engineering Doctorate Centres (EDC) offer full studentships to enable you to undertake and complete your doctoral degree. They all draw upon the expertise and research facilities of a broad range of collaborative partners, enabling you to benefit from their expertise and to become part of interdisciplinary networks that work together to provide excellence in doctoral research training.

Research Council funded awards for postgraduate study are available to home and EU residents, those with EU Migrant Worker status, and individuals who are deemed to have normal residence in the UK. Some Research Councils may also fund overseas students in exceptional circumstances.

More information about the Research Councils is available from the UKRI website.

More information about all UKRI-funded doctoral training programmes currently available at University of Birmingham are organised by Research Council below.