Routes to the Professions
Routes to the Professions (R2P) is for Year 12 students looking to get practical insight into university study.
The programme gives you tailored support throughout the university application process. It focuses on specific vocational courses and careers in Dentistry, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Nursing, Physiotherapy, and Social Work.
Apply to R2P
Applications for Routes to the Professions 2024 are open until midday 30 November 2023.
We encourage you to explore our programme information and consider applying if you are studying at one of our partner institutions.
If you successfully complete programme and apply to the University of Birmingham, you will:
- Receive a Pathways to Birmingham offer which is typically a reduction of up to two A level grades (e.g. BBB rather than AAB)
- Be eligible for financial support
- Become a Birmingham Scholar and attend a special induction event before you start university
- Receive a guaranteed interview invitation on our Medicine and Surgery MBChB or Dental Surgery BDS course if you successfully complete the R2P Medicine/Dentistry programme and meet the following criteria:
- Minimum GCSE threshold and have the required predicted A level grades
- Have a strong personal statement with evidence for motivation for Medicine/Dentistry and involvement in society
- Have taken the UCAT
By taking part in R2P, you’ll also benefit from:
- Insight into university study and professional careers
- Support to help you prepare for university applications
- Developing transferable skills required to enter elite professions
- A rare opportunity to shadow a current student during lectures
- Mentoring from current students
Interview preparation session (Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Social Work, and Physiotherapy only)
If you complete R2P successfully, you will be invited to participate in an interview preparation session prior to your actual interview for the course. In this session, you’ll find out more about university interviews and get tips on how to prepare and be successful.
UKWPMED (Medicine only)
If you successfully complete R2P Medicine, you will have access to the UKWPMED pathway. This is a collaborative partnership between seven university medical schools and provides an exciting opportunity for you to gain special consideration from admissions tutors at alternative medical schools. More information will be shared with you during the programme.
R2P has made university so much more accessible for me and people in similar situations, and the chances you get to make friends along the way mean you get to grow your network even more.Georgia, Routes to the Professions graduate
Are you a teacher or adviser supporting an R2P applicant?
R2P applicants must be studying at one of our partner institutions and have a nominated teacher to support their application. Read our Pathways to Birmingham (P2B) coordinators guidance for more information.