Inspired@Birmingham events and activities take place during the summer term of Year 12. The programme will be of particular interest to students who are unsure what degree subject they would like to follow, and are interested in exploring the non-vocational courses on offer at university and the related career pathways these can lead to.
In order to successfully complete Inspired@Birmingham, students must be available to attend events on the University of Birmingham campus on the following dates:
- Event 1: Start your journey - Saturday 30 April 2022
- Event 2: Subject experience - Tuesday 31 May 2022
- Event 3: Looking ahead - Saturday 2 July 2022
These events will include:
- Subject insight sessions led by academic tutors and current students into non-vocational subjects
- Talks from recent graduates about their career journey so far
- Academic skills sessions to help you hone useful skills to get through Year 12 and to prepare for university study
- Careers sessions which will help you to discover your own preferences, strengths and skills and which career pathways will enable you to realise these
- Personal statement and application workshops to get you thinking about what kind of thing you should include and some common pitfalls
- Team building and motivational workshops to support you into Year 13
In addition to our campus events, there will be a number of online webinars covering topics which will support your future transition to university. You will also have the opportunity to interact with current students, both in person at the events and through an online mentoring programme. Discussions will cover a range of topics related to surviving Years 12 and13 and preparing for university.
You will also have the chance to put into practice some of the academic study skills you will have picked up throughout the programme by completing an online Skills4Uni quiz, and doing a short piece of writing reflecting on your time on the programme and what you have learnt from it.