Once you’ve chosen Birmingham as your Study Abroad destination you can apply online. If you’re an Erasmus or International Exchange Student, your home university will nominate you first before you can complete the application form.
When applying, you will need to upload the following supporting documentation:
- A copy of an official transcript showing the courses taken and grades;
- A copy of your passport/ID photo page;
- Evidence of English Language (if applicable).
What happens next?
Once you have been made an offer of a place you will receive an offer letter. All of the information that you require prior to your arrival at the University will be sent to you electronically or it will be available on-line. You can also visit the Welcome pages on the University's website which contain useful information for students starting at Birmingham.
All students who have had an offer will be sent full details of the orientation events by email. It is important that you check your emails regularly, as some of our events will be tailored individually for you.
English language requirements
In order to undertake an exchange programme at the University, Study Abroad and Exchange students will need to demonstrate a suitable level of English proficiency.
To assess the student's English language level we will look at the following:
Nationals from EU / EEA and Switzerland
- COUNTRY SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS ACCEPTED AS PROOF OF ENGLISH LEVEL:
|Partner Country|| Qualification|| Minimum score / grade required in 'English'|
|| 2 (written and oral)
|| Getuigschrift Van Hoger Secundair Onderwijs/Certificat d'Enseignement Secondaire Superieur/Abschlusszeugnis der Oberstufe des Sekundarunterrichts
|| 7.5 or75%
|| Ylioppilastutkinto/ Studentexamen
|| Voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs (vwo)
|| Vitnemål fra den Videregående Skole
|| “6/10 in English Language I in the European Baccalureat or 8/10 in English Language II in the European Baccalaureate”
|| Fullständigt Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan/Slutbetyg från Komvux/Avgangsbetyg
|| Certificat de Maturité Federale /Maturitätszeugnis/Attestato Di Maturità
Only qualifications listed in the Country Specific Table are accepted as sufficient proof of the required level of English.
- Should the country or qualification not be listed in the Country Specific Table above, or the student not have the required English grade, we can also accept an official certificate produced by the home institution. The B2 Certificate must be signed by the student’s academic tutor, certifying that the student’s standard of English is equivalent to the minimum of the B2 level based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. It must be produced on the home institution’s letterhead and uploaded together with the application. The B2 certificate is acceptable for nationals from EU / EEA and Switzerland only.
- As part of the nomination process, the institution will confirm the English level of the student on the nomination form.
Non-EU nationals (except EEA countries and Switzerland)
- If the nationality of the student is from a recognised English Speaking Country (as defined by the UKVI), no proof of English language proficiency is required.
Canadian Nationals are an exception: although Canada is not listed as an English Speaking Country by the UKVI, we do not need a proof of English unless the student is taught in French. In this case a high school certificate should be submitted to demonstrate the student’s English language proficiency.
The full list of UKVI English Speaking countries is available at https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/knowledge-of-english
English language courses
If you do not have the required level of English or would like to improve your English before the start of the academic year, you can take one of our pre-sessional International student entry requirements English language courses.
These courses are run by our Birmingham International Academy and you can find out the details, costs, and application process for those courses here. You can apply for this once you have applied for Study Abroad.