Immigration and visas

What countries need a visa?

A visa is generally needed if you (or your family) are nationals of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. This visa is called "entry clearance" because it gives you permission to enter the UK.

If you are a national of the EEA or Switzerland, you do not need immigration permission to enter the UK.

If you already have a student visa

If you already have a current student visa that you want to use for your new course, you must first check if it can be accepted by the University of Birmingham.

Getting a visa to study

To study in the UK, you will need to apply for a student visa.

If you will be applying for a short course of under 6 months, you may have the option of applying for a Student Visitor visa

Getting a visa for your family

Family members who are coming to live in the UK as your dependants will need a dependant visa.

Visas to attend graduation

You or your family can apply for visitor visas to attend your graduation ceremony. You can only apply for this type of visa from outside the UK.

Need further help?

If these pages do not answer your immigration query, you can contact the University's International Student Team online. You must be a prospective or current student of the University of Birmingham to use this service.