Money requirements for dependant visa

Before your family can join you in the UK, you need to show that you have enough money to cover their maintenance.

How much money do I need?

The amount below is in addition to the maintenance money you need to show for your own application. If your dependant is applying separately to you, you still need to show that you have funds to support all of your dependants in the UK.

New to study in the UK

If you are new to study in the UK, you will need the following maintenance money for your family.

  • For courses 9 months or longer: £6120 for each dependant
  • For courses less than 9 months: £680 for each dependant for each month of your course

Recently studied in the UK

If you have studied in the UK recently and have applied for the Doctorate Extension Scheme, you may qualify for reduced maintenance amount of £1360 per dependant. This only applies if you are making the dependant applications at the same time as you make your Doctorate Extension Scheme visa application. 

Some examples of the amount you will need

These are examples of amounts you will need to show for your dependants. You will also need to show that you have maintenance and tuition fee money for your own application.

Example 1: New student with wife and two children, 7-month course

Maintenance money for each dependant: £680 x 7 months = £4760

For 3 dependants: £4760 x 3 = £14,280 total.

Example 2: New student with wife and two children, 3-year degree course

Maintenance money for each dependant: £6180

For 3 dependants: £6180 x 3 = £18,540 total

Example 3: Student who qualifies for reduced maintenance for Doctorate Extension Scheme with wife and two children, 3-year degree

Maintenance money for each dependant: £1360

For 3 dependants: £1360 x 3 = £4,080 total.

Documents you need

As part of your visa application you will need to include documents that prove you have the money above. These documents are different for sponsored and self-funded students.

Sponsored students - documents

Documents list

You can receive official financial sponsorship from a government, the British Council or any international organisation, an international company, a university or an Independent School.

You must provide an original letter that meets the following requirements:

  • on official letter-headed paper or stationery of the organisation with the official stamp of that organisation
  • with your name and the names of each of your dependants
  • with the name and contact details of your official financial sponsor
  • with the date of the letter
  • with the length of your sponsorship
  • with the amount of money the sponsor is giving to you or a statement that the official financial sponsor will cover all of your fees and all of your living costs.

Low-risk countries and documents to submit

If you are from a low-risk country you should still collect all the evidence listed above. However, you won't need to submit academic qualifications or financial evidence with your application. Instead, the UKVI can ask for it when it is processing your visa application.  If you have an appointment booked with the UKVI you should take all the documents with you.

If you are asked for this evidence while your application is being processed, you will be given a deadline by which to provide it.  If you fail to provide the documents when they are asked for, your visa application will be refused.

Which countries are low-risk?

The low risk countries are Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Oman, Qatar, Singapore, South Korea, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates and the United States of America. The same rules will apply to you if you are a British National Overseas. 

The 28 day rule

Any money you use for maintenance needs to be in your account for a full 28 days. The most recent balance on the statement must be within one month of submitting your application.