How to apply as a study abroad student

Once you’ve chosen Birmingham as your Study Abroad destination you can apply online. If you’re an Erasmus or International Exchange Student, your home university will nominate you first and when your nomination has been approved, you will be sent the link to our application form.

If you're a Study Abroad Fee-Paying Student, you should contact the Study Abroad team using the contact us form within our Frequently Asked Questions page and we will send you the link to our application form. Please be aware that this application form is only applicable to students who wish to study for one or two semesters.

When applying, you will need to upload the following supporting documentation:

  • A copy of an official transcript showing the courses taken and grades;
  • A copy of your valid passport;
  • Evidence of English Language (if applicable).

To support you with your application, we have created a Guide to completing the application and a video below that takes you step by step through the process of becoming a study abroad and exchange student at the university.

Steps to becoming a study abroad and exchange student at the University of Birmingham

What happens next?

Once you have been made an offer of a place you will receive an offer letter.  All of the information that you require prior to your arrival at the University will be sent to you electronically or it will be available on-line.  You can also visit the Welcome pages on the University's website which contain useful information for students starting at Birmingham.

All students who have had an offer will be sent full details of the orientation events by email. It is important that you check your emails regularly, as some of our events will be tailored individually for you.

Academic entry requirements for International Exchange and Study Abroad fee-paying students

If you are an International Exchange or Study Abroad fee-paying student, then you need to have achieved an average mark at or above our admissions team academic entry level to receive an offer. View the academic entry requirements per country for International Exchange and Study Abroad fee-paying students.

English language requirements

In order to undertake an exchange programme at the University, Study Abroad and Exchange students will need to demonstrate a suitable level of English proficiency.

As part of the nomination process, the institution will confirm the English level of the student on the nomination form.

Please note that no proof of English language proficiency is required from Irish nationals.

English language requirements for Nationals from EU / EEA / Switzerland and Non-EU nationals (except EEA countries and Switzerland).

English language courses

If you do not have the required level of English or would like to improve your English before the start of the academic year, you can take one of our pre-sessional English language courses.

These courses are run by our Birmingham International Academy. Find out more about the details, costs, and application process for those courses. You can apply for this once you have applied for Study Abroad.

Data Protection

For full information on how the University will process your data please see Student Applicant Privacy Notice.