Flexible and practical, the MBA Essentials – Advanced Strategy is designed to fit in with existing career commitments, enabling managers across a range of industries and sectors to boost their career prospects. The module is delivered in an intensive four-day block spread over one long weekend.
Advanced Strategy takes an in-depth view of the process of strategy formulation and implementation through the lens of key themes/topics pertinent to the contemporary strategists.
Using a combination of cases of (un)successful firms, some readings and, most importantly, lively discussion, this module will explore the ways in which long term advantage is built and continuously influenced by contextual issues at firm and industry levels. Students will focus particularly on how the thinking, actions and capabilities of the strategist develops in this process; the mind-set needed to build and sustain competitive advantage over time, and on the strategic implications of understanding what defines firm's success.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the nature of strategy and the different ways of thinking about strategy including the kinds of issues it raises for organisations in decision-making and implementation
- Distinguish between different approaches to strategy decision-making and implementation, and the pertinent issues around leading and managing change, and critically apply appropriate models and framework
- Develop and critically evaluate a range of strategic implementation options and identify strategic decision-making and communication processes, including different approaches to such decision making, and the risks and ethical considerations involved
- Demonstrate skills in critical thinking, analysis and synthesis; including identifying and questioning assumptions, weighing evidence appropriately, identifying and challenging false logic or reasoning, and generalising in a way which recognises the limits of knowledge in strategy
Why study at University of Birmingham?
- Modular delivery over long weekends (Friday to Monday) limits the impact of study on your work commitments
- Birmingham Business School holds triple-crown accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS)
- Birmingham Business School is the UK’s oldest business school, bringing more than 100 years of innovative teaching and research
- The University of Birmingham is a member of the Russell Group, an organisation of the UK’s top 24 research-led universities
- The University of Birmingham is also a member of Universitas 21, the leading global network of research-intensive universities
What is a microcredential?
Microcredentials are designed to upskill you for work in rapidly growing industries, without the time and cost commitment of a full degree. Your microcredential can stand alone as an independent credential, and some also offer academic credit to use towards a degree.
- Learn with expert instructors: Complete courses led by experts with a dedicated group of professionals.
- Earn a professional credential: Finish your learning and pass your assessments to gain an accredited credential.
- Advance further in your career: Use your microcredential as evidence of your specialised skills and progress further in your industry.
How to apply?
When clicking on the Apply Now button you will be directed to an application specifically designed for the programme you wish to apply for where you will create an account with the University application system and submit your application and supporting documents online.
To be eligible for assessment, your application must be complete and submitted before: Friday 27 January 2023 for Overseas/International students and Friday 10 February 2023 for Home/UK based-students (23h59 - UK time). Before submitting your application, please make sure it is complete. Otherwise, your application will not be reviewed.
Find out more
Register your interest for this short course to request more information about the course and for scholarship information.