Taught over four days, our MBA Essentials course is made up of 'unbundled' modules from our full Executive MBA degree. The MBA Essentials offers block-teaching modules that fits busy schedule and will support managers with their career prospects, either in their own organisation or moving elsewhere.
The MBA Essentials – Strategic Procurement and Supplier Management is an investigation of ‘best practice’ procurement, contracting and supplier management. First, the module explores the different theories informing the broad subject area. These concern concepts such as trust, opportunism and power, and we look at how such concepts affect the way procurement and supplier management is both studied and practiced.
Second, the module focuses on organisational context and considers the management of the procurement operation. Here we look at procurement transformation, the alignment of procurement with organisational strategy, procurement technology and the internal marketing of the procurement function.
Third and influenced by our exploration of theories and organisational context, the module discusses how managers might start to think about the implementation of their strategic procurement, contracting and supplier management activities. The key implementation issues covered in the module are: the make-buy decision; organisational buying behaviour; supplier and relationship selection; supplier performance and relationship management; contracting; and conflict management.
By the end of the module you should be able to:
- Understand, and have opinions on, the key debates within the field of strategic procurement, contracting and supplier management
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the issues surrounding the management of the procurement operation
- Undertake a rigorous make-buy analysis for an area of third-party expenditure
- Understand the constraints on effective organisational buying behaviour
- Understand the key criteria that should inform supplier selection decisions
- Calculate buyer-supplier power relations
- Understand the key issues related to supplier performance and relationship management
- Be familiar with key global sourcing risks and be able to take a view on managing them
- Recognise the hazards and management options relating to contracting
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the principles of conflict management.
We are offering up to 15 £1,000 scholarships for learners studying an MBA Essentials short course.
Why study at University of Birmingham?
- The module will equip you to move into more senior management positions, either in your own organisation or moving elsewhere
- We are ranked number one for being targeted by the top UK employers (High Fliers Research 2021)
- Modular delivery over long weekends (Friday to Monday) limits the impact of study on your work commitments
- Birmingham Business School holds triple-crown accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS)
- Birmingham Business School is the UK’s oldest business school, bringing more than 100 years of innovative teaching and research
- The University of Birmingham is a member of the Russell Group, an organisation of the UK’s top 24 research-led universities
- The University of Birmingham is also a member of Universitas 21, the leading global network of research-intensive universities
What is a microcredential?
Microcredentials are designed to upskill you for work in rapidly growing industries, without the time and cost commitment of a full degree. Your microcredential can stand alone as an independent credential, and some also offer academic credit to use towards a degree.
- Learn with expert instructors: Complete courses led by experts with a dedicated group of professionals.
- Earn a professional credential: Finish your learning and pass your assessments to gain an accredited credential.
- Advance further in your career: Use your microcredential as evidence of your specialised skills and progress further in your industry.
How to apply?
When clicking on the Apply Now button you will be directed to an application specifically designed for the programme you wish to apply for where you will create an account with the University application system and submit your application and supporting documents online.
To be eligible for assessment, your application must be complete and submitted before: Friday 7 June 2024 for Overseas/International students and Friday 21 June 2024 for Home/UK based-students (23h59 - UK time). Before submitting your application, please make sure it is complete. Otherwise, your application will not be reviewed.
Find out more
Register your interest for this short course to request more information about the course and for scholarship information.