The programme has received full certification by GCHQ and the University has been officially recognised by NCSC-EPSRC as an ‘Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research’ (ACE-CSR) by the UK government; an accolade that is a testament to the School’s first rate research and work.
Our curriculum has been developed with the involvement of key individuals in the cyber security industry. As well as advising us on the skills they seek when recruiting graduates, they also contribute directly through guest lectures and project supervision.
Companies including Microsoft, Vodafone, Siemens, IBM and Hewlett Packard come onto campus to talk directly to our students.
Hear from Georgios about the course
Birmingham is one of the leading universities in the country for postgraduate study in computer science, and we are proud to deliver outstanding programmes that offer a range of exciting career opportunities for students from around the world.
Why choose Birmingham?
- State-of-the-art, multi-million-pound facilities include dedicated laboratories for Computer Science students, a teaching laboratory for Robotics, and research laboratories for Security, Medical Imaging and Intelligent Robotics
- We are a partner in The Alan Turing Institute, the UK's national institute for data science and artificial intelligence
- Our Security and Privacy Group is recognised as an EPSRC/GCHQ Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research and we have a strong collaboration with the Centre for Computational Biology (CCB)
- The University is home to the Centre of Excellence for Research in Computational Intelligence and Applications (CERCIA), The Human-Computer Interaction Centre (HCI), and the Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Cognitive Robotics (CNCR)
- Our teaching is consistently ranked highly in all reputable league tables and guides and we have the highest possible rating from the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education
- We are ranked 8th in the UK for research, as measured by the combined volume and quality of our research (research intensity)
At the School of Computer Science we are not just renowned for teaching and research excellence. We also produce novel solutions for real-world applications, including:
- Working with Jaguar Land Rover to make their vehicles more secure
- Contributing to the development of the Trusted Platform Module which makes many of our computers capable of secure cryptographic operations
- Deploying autonomous, intelligent robots in security and health support facilities
- Developing a revolutionary, award-winning method for diagnosing skin cancer