Drawing on theory, research, and comparative analysis of international health and care systems, this apprenticeship programme will provide you with a unique opportunity to develop the values and skills necessary for impactful leadership. These focus on the ‘building blocks’ of high-quality care: well-trained and motivated staff, efficient use of resources, a culture of improvement, and an ability to integrate care. Learners are supported to develop a community of practice with others from the social work and social care sector and to engage directly with senior figures from policy and practice.
The programme will take you through the development processes intended to equip you with the theoretical knowledge and personal skills to understand the health and social care environment, improve integrated working on the frontline, and achieve more efficient and person-centred services.
The Department of Social Work and Social Care at the University of Birmingham is recognised across the UK and internationally for its pioneering research and teaching of professional practice across the social care sector. This includes the contribution of leadership to improving the planning and delivery of services to better reflect the aspirations of individuals, families and communities. The programme has been developed in collaboration with the Health Services Management Centre (HSMC) at the University, one of the UK’s leading centres for health care policy, management and quality improvement research and education, and you will undertake modules jointly delivered with apprentices undertaking the Health and Care System Leadership Apprenticeship.
Our Social Work and Social Care Leadership Level 7 Apprenticeship, aligned to the Senior Leader Apprenticeship Standard, will allow you to gain a Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work and Social Care Leadership funded by the Apprenticeship Levy. On successful completion of the PDGip, you will have the opportunity to gain a MSc. Please contact us for further details.
Why study this course?
- Modular structure limits the impact of study on work commitments with a flexible mode of delivery to suit both learner and employer needs through a hybrid of online and on-campus delivery
- Opportunity to learn with and from colleagues from different professional backgrounds and across children and adult social work and social care services
- Enables you to build new networks and connections to achieve influence as system leaders
- Action learning sets provide opportunity for reflection on real world issues and the development of new approaches to long-standing challenges
- In addition to your Apprenticeship, the University provides you with membership of the Chartered Management Institute for the duration of the programme and one year afterwards as either Chartered Managers or Chartered Fellows
- Fully levy-funding compliant with advice and guidance from our Apprenticeships team