Please find application and reference guidance below for the College of Arts and Law scholarships.
For an application for funding to be considered, we must have received the following by the relevant deadline:
- Application to study
- Completed online funding application form
- Two valid references
1. Apply to study
Before applying to a College of Arts and Law scholarship, you must have completed an application to study a relevant course at Birmingham. To make an application to study, please visit your chosen course's webpage and select 'Apply for this course' on the right hand side of the page.
2. Complete funding application
Once you have made an application to study, you will need to complete the relevant online scholarship application form below and submit it by 4pm on Friday 1 March 2019 for Doctoral scholarships or Friday 22 March 2019 for Masters scholarships. On submitting your application, you will receive a confirmation email.
Please note, once you have made an application to one of our College of Arts and Law scholarships listed below, your application will automatically be considered for all relevant scholarships in this list, without you having to make additional applications. This also applies if you have made an application for Arts and Humanities Research Council funding through the Midlands4Cities consortium.
- College of Arts and Law Distance Learning Research Scholarship(s)
- College of Arts and Law Doctoral Scholarships
- College of Arts and Law Masters Scholarships
- Amphlett Scholarship (Theology)
- BRICH Scholarships (History)
- Music Scholarships
- Stanley Wells Shakespeare Institute Scholarships
- Wolfson Scholarships (Languages, Literature and History)
There are several other funding schemes available, which may have alternative application processes and deadlines. If you would like to be considered for these awards, you will need to make a separate application. Please find further details on our funding page.
3. Submit references
Your application must also be supported by two references. It is your responsibility to forward the link to both of your nominated referees and tell them that their references must be submitted via the online form by the application deadline. We would advise you to contact your referees ahead of the deadline to ensure that references have been completed and submitted.
Only references completed on the relevant online reference form will be accepted. Late references will not be considered.
For further information, please review our frequently asked questions for our Masters scholarships and Doctoral scholarships, which may help to answer many of the questions you have about the awards.
4. Selection process
In order for your application to be considered we will need to have received a complete application, i.e. study application, online funding application and two online references received by the deadline. Your application will then be processed as follows:
College of Arts and Law Doctoral Scholarships
- Graded and ranked by School Panels
- The top applications from each School will be read and ranked by a College Panel [Head of Postgraduate Studies Research (or representative) from each School]
- A College Panel consisting of: CAL Graduate School Deputy Director (Chair) and School Heads of Postgraduate Studies Research (or representative) will meet to agree final rankings and awards to be made
In their selections, panels will consider: the academic qualifications of the applicant; their references; the project’s significance, methodology, and originality; how prepared the student is to successfully complete the project on time and how well the expertise of the supervisory team matches the proposed research.
College of Arts and Law Masters Scholarships
- Graded and ranked by School Panels
- Each School will recommend their top applicants for an award
- A College Panel consisting of: CAL Graduate School Deputy Director (Chair) and School Heads of Postgraduate Taught (or representative) will meet to consider the School recommendations and to award any additional scholarships (depending on funding available) through a ranking process.
If you have any further queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0121 414 8442 or 0121 414 6627.