Considering and applying for a PhD can seem like a daunting experience and you may have questions over where to start and what you need to do at each stage.
If you intend to apply to a PhD which is not advertised with funding, you can expect to follow our six step process below:
- Choose which research degree: PhD, MA/MSc by Research, or MRes?
- Consider the research area and themes
- Begin your supervisor search
- Consult with a potential supervisor or department
- Write your research proposal
- Make a formal application
What should you include in your proposal?
- Research topic
- Review of the literature
- Research objectives
- Research strategy
- Anticipated results
- Schedule and budget
- References or bibliography
If you are applying to the College of Arts and Law, follow specific guidance on writing a research proposal for programmes within this College.