You will develop fantastic skills for your future career, such as presentation delivery, confidence, communication, teamwork, intellectual analysis, critical thinking and articulate expression.
These are skills that last a lifetime and qualify you for many possible careers. Our graduates can be found in roles such as:
- Corporate fundraiser
- Healthcare professional
- Marketing manager
- Account manager
Our graduates also gain employment with well-known employers such as:
- Royal Shakespeare Company
- The Ministry of Justice
- Birmingham Children's Hospital
- McCann PR
- Macmillan Publishing
- Birmingham Royal Ballet
- Birmingham REP Theatre
- Bloomsbury Publishing Group
Of course, we also have professional actors and theatre practitioners amongst our alumni community, including:
- Tamsin Greig, BA Drama and Theatre Arts, 1998: Olivier-winning actor.
- Matthew Goode, BA Drama and Theatre Arts, 1999: actor in British and American film and TV including The Imitation Game, Watchmen, Downton Abbey and The Good Wife.
- Phyllida Lloyd, BA English and Drama, 1979: director of plays, opera and film including Mamma Mia! on stage and screen and the recent film The Iron Lady.
- Victoria Wood, BA Drama and Theatre Arts, 1974: comedian, actor, singer-songwriter, screenwriter and director.
- Ben Shephard, BA Drama and Theatre Arts, 1997: television presenter currently working for Sky Sports and ITV.
- Stuart Blackburn, BA Drama and Theatre Arts, 1987: current series producer of Emmerdale at ITV.
- Pippa Evans, BA Drama and Theatre Arts, 2004: comedian - arrived on the Edinburgh Fringe in 2008 and nominated for Best Newcomer.
- Patsy Ferran, BA Drama and Theatre Arts, 2011: stage actor, including playing Jim in the 2014 National Theatre production of Treasure Island and Portia in the 2015 Royal Shakespeare production of The Merchant of Venice.
Developing your career
The University of Birmingham is the 3rd most targeted university by the country’s top graduate employers according to The Graduate Market 2023 report [PDF - 1.4MB]. Our Careers Network are here to offer you tailored, expert advice on your career plans and support you with finding and applying for jobs, internships and further study. There are hundreds of events to help you meet potential employers and learn more about the breadth of opportunities and career sectors available to you.
Support will be offered to you covering the whole job application process, including CVs, LinkedIn, application forms, interviews and assessment centres. You can also email our experienced Careers Advisors and College Teams to review your applications or answer any careers related question, alongside our on campus and online 1:1 appointments.
We have a number of exclusive Internship Programmes such as our Cultural Internships, which will give you paid, professional experience to set you apart in the graduate market. We also offer work experience bursaries, which allow you to apply for funding to support you during any unpaid internships.
First years can take part in The Birmingham Project, with themes including celebrating arts and culture and shaping a global society. There’s also a successful Mentoring Programme, where you can gain access to experienced Mentors who can empower, inspire and inform you about their experiences. As a University of Birmingham student you will also be given access to LinkedIn Learning giving free access to real world training courses to kick-start your careers.
If you want to earn money WorkLink advertises convenient part-time job opportunities on campus to fit round your studies.
To enhance your career prospects even further, you may want to engage in extra-curricular activities to broaden your skills and your network of contacts. Our employer-endorsed, award-winning Personal Skills Award (PSA) recognises your extra-curricular activities, and provides an accredited employability programme.
There are more than 500 student groups and volunteering opportunities offered by the Guild of Students (our Students’ Union) so you’re bound to find activities that you want to be involved in whilst meeting friends who share your interests.