Please note: You will take 120 credits of modules in each year of study. The modules listed on the website for this programme are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by the latest research and teaching methods. Unless indicated otherwise, the modules listed for this programme are for students starting in 2024. On rare occasions, we may need to make unexpected changes to compulsory modules; in this event we will contact offer holders as soon as possible to inform or consult them as appropriate.
Joint Honours flexibility
Every degree programme at the University is divided into 120 credits of study for each year of the programme. In the first year of a Joint Honours programme, you will study 60 credits in each subject as you learn the core elements of the disciplines. We recognise that students on Joint Honours programmes might come to favour one subject slightly more than another. To account for this, we have added more flexibility into the second and final years of our programmes. In the second year, you can stick with the 60-60 split between the two subjects or shift to a 80-40 credit weighting, effectively a major/ minor combination. You can either go back to 60-60 in the final year, maintain the same 80-40 split or reverse the major and the minor and go to a 40-80 weighting.
History compulsory modules:
- Practising History (A): Skills in History (10 credits)
- Practising History (B): Skills in History (10 credits)
- Discovering the Middle Ages (20 credits) OR The Making of the Modern World 1500-1800 (20 credits)
- The Making of the Contemporary World: Modern History c.1800 to the Present (20 credits) OR The History of Africa and its Diaspora (20 credits)
Year 1 History modules
Theology compulsory modules:
- Introduction to the Study of Religion A (10 credits)
- Introduction to the Study of Religion B (10 credits)
Year 1 Theology modules
Students choose 120 credits of optional modules. Students planning to undertake a 12,000 word dissertation in Theology and Religion in their final year must choose the Dissertation Preparation module. Credits must be evenly balanced across semesters.
As a Joint Honours student you have the flexibility to tailor your degree in terms of weightings across your two subjects as well as choosing between a wide range of optional courses. There is just one core module that all students take, ‘Topics in History’ - which includes a range of particular topics you can choose from. All students must also choose one of the optional modules within the Department of History in the Autumn term.
- Students taking 80 credits in History will choose: an autumn option and Topics in History, plus 40 further credits of optional modules chosen from 'History in Theory and Practice', a 'Sources in History' module, or a spring option. You can also choose, if you wish, a Future or Professional Skills module which is taken in the Autumn term.
- Students taking 60 credits in History will choose: an autumn option and Topics in History, plus 20 further credits of optional modules chosen from 'History in Theory and Practice', a 'Sources in History' module, or a spring option. You can also choose, if you wish, a Future or Professional Skills module which is taken in the Autumn term.
- Students taking 40 credits in History will choose: an autumn option and Topics in History.
You will make up your remaining credits with:
Year 2 Optional History modules and Year 2 Theology modules
You can apply to study abroad for a year in an approved university around the world. If you achieve a grade of 2.1 or above in your first year, you will be eligible to apply for a Year Abroad in your second year. If your application is successful, you will go abroad in your third year and return to us for your final year.
More about a Year Abroad
Students must take a 40 credit Independent Study module. The Independent Study module must be taken in the major discipline, where a major/minor degree is undertaken.
History Compulsory modules:
- History Dissertation (40 credits)
Detailed description of Final Year History compulsory modules
You will also spend your remaining History credits in optional modules
Theology compulsory modules:
- Theology and Religion Dissertation (40 credits)
- Theology and Religion Placement-Based Dissertation (40 credits)
Final year Theology modules