Please note: You will take 120 credits of modules in each year of study. The modules listed on the website for this programme are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by the latest research and teaching methods. Unless indicated otherwise, the modules listed for this programme are for students starting in 2020. On rare occasions, we may need to make unexpected changes to compulsory modules; in this event we will contact offer holders as soon as possible to inform or consult them as appropriate.
Joint Honours flexibility
Every degree programme at the University is divided into 120 credits of study for each year of the programme. In the first year of a Joint Honours programme, you will study 60 credits in each subject as you learn the core elements of the disciplines. We recognise that students on Joint Honours programmes might come to favour one subject slightly more than another. To account for this, we have added more flexibility into the second and final years of our programmes. In the second year, you can stick with the 60-60 split between the two subjects or shift to a 80-40 credit weighting, effectively a major/ minor combination. You can either go back to 60-60 in the final year, maintain the same 80-40 split or reverse the major and the minor and go to a 40-80 weighting.
During your years of study you will take compulsory language modules depending on your language proficiency (Beginner or post A-Level). You will then choose amongst a wide range of optional modules depending on the number of credits you are taking in the language.
You can find out more about the available modules dependent on your credit weighting for your chosen language via the My Choices website. The modules listed may occasionally be subject to change.
Year 1 - English Literature pathway compulsory modules
- Poetry (20)
- Prose (20)
- Reading English (10)
- English in the World (10)
Detailed descriptions of Year 1 English Literature compulsory modules
Year 1 - English Language pathway compulsory modules
- Fundamentals of Language: Sounds and Words (20)
- Fundamentals of Language: Grammar and Discourse (20)
- Investigating Language (20)
Detailed descriptions of Year 1 English Language compulsory modules
Year 2 - English Literature pathway compulsory modules
- 80 credits - Histories of Literature; Shakespeare: Elizabethan and Jacobean; Themes in Literature
- 60 credits - Histories of Literature; Shakespeare: Elizabethan and Jacobean or Themes in Literature
- 40 credits - Histories of Literature
Detailed descriptions of Year 2 English Literature modules
Year 2 - English Language pathway compulsory modules
- 80 credits - Professional Research Skills for Linguists; English Grammar; English Language Options
- 60 credits - Professional Research Skills for Linguists; English Language Options
- 40 credits - English Language Options
Detailed descriptions of Year 2 English Language modules
You will also take your remaining English Language credits in optional modules
The degree programme is four years in length, and you will spend your third year abroad working and/or studying in the country of your target language.
Final Year - English Literature pathway compulsory modules
- 80 credits - English Literature Dissertation or Extended Essay; English Literature Special Subjects
- 60 credits - English Literature Extended Essay; English Literature Special Subjects
- 40 credits - English Literature Extended Essay and / or English Literature Special Subject/s
Detailed decriptions of Final Year English Literature modules
Final Year - English Language pathway compulsory modules
- 80 credits - English Language Dissertation or Investigation; English Language Options
- 60 credits - English Language Investigation; English Language Options
- 40 credits - English Language options
Detailed descriptions of Final Year English Language modules