Efficient and Impactful Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: An Online Course
The practical approach of this course will provide you with a hands-on and critical explanation of how to efficiently face the challenges of this type of work, differing from the high amount of theoretical information you may have found online.
Meta-analyses are pivotal in synthesising research across various disciplines, often forming the cornerstone of evidence-based practices. However, many researchers face challenges, particularly in designing statistical analyses to answer impactful questions with the available papers in the literature. On the other hand, you may not realise how much the quality of other steps in this process can limit the impact of your work. To name a few, there is often a lack of knowledge in building a good search strategy, a common waste of time screening a huge number of irrelevant papers for the systematic review, and challenges in conveying the message by critically interpreting the findings with smart scientific communication techniques. This comprehensive online course is designed to equip you with the skills needed to efficiently write impactful systematic review and meta-analysis papers.
What You'll Learn:
1. Conceiving the Meta-Analysis Question: Understand how to formulate a research question that is both relevant and feasible.
2. Time-Saving Search Strategies: Learn how to plan and implement effective search strategies that save time and yield comprehensive results.
3. Efficient Paper Selection: Master the art of selecting the most relevant papers for your analysis.
4. Data Interpretation and Extraction: Gain skills in interpreting and extracting crucial data from selected papers.
5. Simplified Data Analysis: Demystify the data-analysis process with easy-to-understand methods.
6. Manuscript Writing: Learn the techniques for writing a compelling manuscript, whether it's a dissertation, thesis, or a paper intended for a scientific journal.
- Self-Paced Learning: Engage with video recordings and hands-on exercises at your convenience (4 hours per week).
- Live Sessions: Participate in 6 live sessions (schedule provided) to deepen your understanding. It is recommended to familiarise yourself with the content and complete the hands-on exercises beforehand to make the most of this course.
- Consultancy Support: For those seeking personalised guidance on their projects or papers, we offer an upgrade (see cost section) for individual live support from our expert instructor, Dr Amanda Sardeli.
This course is ideal for anyone looking to refine their skills in writing systematic reviews and meta-analyses, with a clear pathway from conception to publication.
- Introduction to the concepts of systematic review and meta-analysis.
- How to build a novel and an impactful systematic review and meta-analysis research question.
- How to do highly sensitive research (the time saver).
- How to select the most useful and important studies.
- How to extract data for the characterization and analysis.
- Meta-analysis tool bag: interpretation and decisions.
- Step-by-step in the statistical methods of meta-analysis.
- Assessment tools and complementary analysis.
- How to write a systematic review and meta-analysis impactful paper.
Institute of Inflammation and Ageing.
Dates of the course:
Next Iteration: 1st March - 15th May 2024
Live Zoom sessions:
- Wednesday 13th March 2024 - Q&A about Introduction and conception of the question
- Wednesday 20th March 2024 - Q&A about Building a highly sensitive search
- Wednesday 27th March 2024 - Q&A about Screening of the studies
- Wednesday 10th April 2024 - Q&A about Data extraction
- Wednesday 17th April 2024 - Q&A about Data Analysis (meta-analysis)
- Wednesday 24th April 2024 - Q&A about Writing and submitting the scientific paper
Non credit bearing. Certificate of attendance will be sent out upon course completion.
- £300 students / trainees
- £350 academics / consultants
Additional personal consultancy (3hrs):
- £200 students/ trainees
- £250 academics/ consultants
You will be able to book both the online course and consultancy all in one if you wish to, and you can find more details of this on the online shop (link found below).
How to apply:
You can register for the course using a credit/debit card at the University online shop. The courses have minimum required attendance levels, and the University reserves the right to cancel or postpone the course if the minimum required number of delegates has not been achieved for the course.
For enquiries about the course content, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For enquiries about bookings, please email: email@example.com
See how the University of Birmingham uses your data, view the Event attendee privacy notice.