This module aims to develop your knowledge and skills in relation to the physical health assessment of patients specific to your specialist area of clinical practice. At the end of the module you will have advanced your practice in performing a problem-focused, age appropriate health assessment.
40 Masters level credits
Module attendance required
Method of teaching
The module will combine lectures, workshops, seminars, e-learning and labtutor based on clinical practice that is designed in a way to enhance application of learning to the clinical environment.
- Study week 1 – 4 February 2019 – 8 February 2019
- Study week 2 – 4 March 2019 – 25 March 2019
- Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCE): 11 March 2019
- Presentation - 25 March 2019
- Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCE)
- Written assignment: 3000 words
- Presentation: Presentation of a your chosen patient case study: title A reflective case analysis of your advanced clinical assessment and decision making (70% of module mark). The presentation should:
- Demonstrate an ability to identify, evaluate and utilise research evidence to inform health assessment
- Demonstrate knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology of the common disorders or diseases associated in your specialist area of practice
- Demonstrate safe and appropriate judgement and clinical decision making incorporating the appropriate assessment skills, interpretation of correctly ordered diagnostic tests and investigations
- Demonstrate awareness of professional, legal and ethical issues including consent in complex cases
- Critically appraise issues around public health, epidemiology, health promotion and health policy (presentation)
- Be clear, concise and be presented in its entirety in 15 minutes using Power Point or similar software
- Encourage 5 minutes of discussion
- Be fully referenced using professional sources in the Harvard Format
The presentation will be assessed by academic staff however students will be encouraged to be in attendance for all the presentations. Assessment is at Masters Level (7)
Advanced Health Assessment is a core module on MSc Advanced Clinical Practice and can be counted at a later date.
It can also be taken as CPD with no academic accreditation, in which case a ‘certificate of attendance’ will be provided.
Fee if taken as a stand alone course
To be confirmed
Professional qualification in healthcare
To apply please contact:
Tel: +44121 414 6014