Dr Karin Bottom
- The role of small parties
- Comparative politics
- Policy analysis
- Elections and quantitative methodologies
Dr Catherine Durose
Catherine is interested in supervising doctoral researchers working on issues connected to her main research interests, set out below. Catherine also welcomes proposals from qualified and motivated scholars to undertake PhD or post-doctoral research.
Situated within a broader intellectual project exploring the intermediation of relationships between the state, the market, other social institutions, communities and citizens, my research focuses on the practices of community work and the politics of participation and co-production. I have forged an inter-disciplinary nexus between social policy, public administration and community studies, spanning issues of policy analysis and implementation, democracy, participation and community action. I have a growing passionate interest in how to challenge traditional research practice, using co-productive and participatory approaches to innovate and generate progressive social change.
Dr Stephen Jeffares
Stephen is interested in supervising projects that draw on social media data to understand change or controversies in public policy.
Professor John Raine
- Criminal and civil justice, management and organisation
- Local government organisation and political structures
- Central–local relations
- Local authority parking enforcement
Professor Chris Skelcher
- New forms of local authority accountability, management and government of public services;
- Development of partnership working and service quality;
- Quangos, partnerships, hybrids and appointed bodies;
- Standards of conduct and the wider question of improvement in local authority performance.
Dr Peter Watt
- Scrutiny of finance and budgeting
- Comprehensive Area Assessment
- Economics of contracting and procurement
- Local government finance and international comparisons
- Public sector efficiency and performance management
- Financial management
- Public choice theory
- Organisational review
- Risk management and quantitative techniques, statistics and econometrics
Mr Philip Whiteman
- Policy implementation studies
- Central and local government relations
- Regulation of local government
- Local authority corporate management scrutiny
- Public sector performance, procurement and efficiency
- Public consultation and participation
- Organisation dynamics.