In partnership with Santander bank, the University of Birmingham is delighted to offer scholarships to outstanding Master's degree candidates from Latin America, Nigeria, Pakistan & the USA.
What we are offering
We are offering 2 scholarships worth £5,000 towards the cost of tuition fees for an eligible one year Master's programme (taught or research). These awards are intended for tuition fees only and cannot be used towards living costs.
Who we are looking for
Applicants must have an excellent academic background obtaining a minimum of a First Class Bachelors Degree or equivalent (a CGPA of approximately 3.6-3.8 or above on a 4.0 scale or equivalent).
Applicants must also demonstrate excellence in an aspect of their life. This might be outstanding academic achievement, exceptional achievement in extra curricular activities (such as sport, music, managing events or societies) or significant achievement gained either in their working life or through volunteering and service to others.
Applicants must also outline the contribution they will make to the University of Birmingham as a student and what they expect to gain from studying at Birmingham.
In order to apply, candidates must:
- be coming to Birmingham from one of the following countries (i.e. are domiciled in or resident of): Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, the USA, and Venezuela. Priority will be given to students coming from developing 'lower middle income' countries (here emboldened) and thereafter 'upper middle income' and 'high income' countries (as defined in the UN World Economic Situation and Prospects reports).
- have been offered a place to study on an eligible one year Master's (taught or research) programme at the University of Birmingham, UK campus;
- be classified by the University as eligible to pay the 'overseas' tuition fee rate;
- be applying for a programe which is full-time and based at Birmingham's UK campus (not distance learning);
- have a valid student ID number;
- not be in receipt of a full fee scholarship from any other source;
- have made adequate financial provision to study in the UK (including any associated visa/travel expenses);
- be able to pay any outstanding tuition fees not covered by the scholarship.
How to apply
To find out more about how to apply, please review our application procedures.
Please note that applications for 2019/20 entry will close on 30 April 2019.
Terms and conditions
- Awards are offered for 2019/20 entry only and cannot be deferred.
- Scholarship awards will be deducted from the tuition fees payable to the University of Birmingham.
- In the event that the scholar's tuition fees are more than the scholarship award given, it is the responsibility of the scholar to pay the outstanding amount in full.
- By submitting an application, scholars agree to their name being published as a winner and undertaking any associated promotional activity.
- Scholarships will be awarded on merit by an appointed selection panel; the decision is based on information provided by the applicant in their application form/ supporting documentation (e.g academic transcripts, certificates and references) in addition to any supporting scholarship application statements provided.
- The scholarship panel's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into after the published closing date.
- Successful candidates only will be informed in writing by the end of May 2019.
The University of Birmingham Postgraduate Funding Database entry for the Santander Scholarship can be accessed here.