Each year contains 120 credits of taught material, delivered in modules that are typically worth 20 credits.
Core modules (60 credits in each year) are taken by all students enrolled on both single honours and major/minor degree programmes and cover those fundamentals of inorganic, organic and physical chemistry that we deem essential. Year 1 also includes a self-paced maths module.
The remaining 60 credits in each year comprise optional material and laboratory or project modules (with embedded communications and employability skills) designed to support these core courses, allowing you to develop your practical skills and techniques as well as consolidate the associated theory from your lectures.
In Year 1, you will take core modules in the traditional sub-disciplines of inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry, all of which are supported by two additional modules comprising an extensive laboratory work programme. Your remaining 20 credits are chosen from a wide range of non-chemistry option courses from across the University, including a number of foreign languages spanning a range of abilities.
Those of you who do not have A-level maths – don’t worry! We provide a self-paced introductory maths module in Semester 1, which will bring you up to speed with the common mathematical techniques needed for chemistry. All students take this module, whether they have A-level maths or not, since not all A-level maths syllabuses cover the same material.
In Semester 2, additional mathematics is embedded in the physical chemistry module, as you begin to apply your mathematical skills to chemical problems. All of the maths material is delivered by staff from Chemistry, which ensures you are equipped with those skills you need to tackle the more physical and theoretical aspects of our courses.
- Inorganic Chemistry I - 20 credits
- Organic Chemistry I - 20 credits
- Physical Chemistry I - 20 credits
- Practical Chemistry Ia - 20 credits
- Practical Chemistry Ib - 20 credits
- Widening Horizons - 20 credits
- Year 1 Summer Skills Laboratory *
- Fundamental Mathematics **
* Year 1 Summer Skills Laboratory is a zero credit module which fulfils the accreditation requirement of the Royal Society of Chemistry. Satisfactory completion is assessed by maintenance of a laboratory notebook, the quality of the data produced in the laboratory and its interpretation. Satisfactory completion of this module is normally required for progression to Year 2.
** Fundamental Mathematics is a zero credit module which is student centred and self paced, providing training in the fundamental skills and concepts of mathematics that underpin the rest of the programme. Satisfactory completion of this module is normally required for progression to Year 2.
In Year 2, you will build on material from your first year as we employ a combination of lectures and practicals to further your understanding of the fundamental aspects of chemistry. In addition to core courses in organic, inorganic and physical chemistry, you will also take a chemistry options module, choosing from a range of courses, which include analytical chemistry, computational chemistry and biological chemistry.
- Inorganic Chemistry II - 20 credits
- Organic Chemistry II - 20 credits
- Physical Chemistry II - 20 credits
- Practical Chemistry IIa - 20 credits
- Practical Chemistry IIb - 20 credits
- Year 2 Chemistry Options - 20 credits
In Year 3, core chemistry modules in inorganic, organic and physical chemistry are accompanied by further choice in optional subjects, which focus on some of the most exciting aspects of current chemistry research. You will also carry out a 40-credit research project, which can be practical-based research, computer-based research or a literature dissertation. If you are interested in entering the teaching profession, you may instead opt for a project in the area of chemical education. You will choose the topic of your project from a pool of titles and work with your project supervisor to tailor the project to your particular research interests.
- Inorganic Chemistry III - 20 credits
- Organic Chemistry III - 20 credits
- Physical Chemistry III - 20 credits
- Year 3 Chemistry Options - 20 credits
Choose 40 credits of optional modules, examples listed below:
- Research Projects - 40 credits
- Year 3 Research Methodology I - 20 credits
- Year 3 Research Methodology II - 20 credits
Please note: The modules listed on the website for this programme are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by the latest research and teaching methods. Unless indicated otherwise, the modules listed for this programme are for students starting in 2019. On rare occasions, we may need to make unexpected changes to core modules; in this event we will contact offer holders as soon as possible to inform or consult them as appropriate.