Level of Study: Any Postgraduate Masters
Subject area: All subjects (student intending to study in STEM fields are particularly welcome)
Nationality: United States citizen of domicile
Type of Award: University award funded by the University of Birmingham Foundation in the USA.
Deadline for applying: 31 May 2018
The University of Birmingham, in partnership with the US Alumni Foundation, is delighted to offer a postgraduate scholarship to one outstanding candidate from the USA.
Value of Award
We are offering one scholarship worth up to £17,000 towards the cost of tuition fees for an eligible one year Masters (taught or research) programme at our UK campus. The scholarship is intended to cover tuition fees only and not living expenses.
You should have an excellent academic background. The selection panel will only consider applicants attaining a CGPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale or above. Winning candidates regularly achieve a CGPA of between 3.4-3.8 on a 4.0 scale.
You must be able to demonstrate and evidence excellence - this may comprise an outstanding academic achievement, outstanding extra-curricular achievement/s (such as in a sporting, musical context) or significant achievement gained either in your working life or through volunteering and service to others.
In order to be eligible, candidates must:
- have received an offer of a place to study on a Masters (taught or research) programme at the University of Birmingham of one year in duration
- have a valid student ID number
- have an offer to study a full-time programme at our UK campus (not distance learning)
- be a national of the USA, and be either; domiciled in the USA, or currently studying as an international student at a university outside of the USA
- be classified as overseas for fees purposes
- have sufficient funds to cover the full cost of living for a year at the University of Birmingham, plus any visa/travel expenses associated with studying in the UK
- be able to pay any outstanding tuition fees not covered by the scholarship
- not be in receipt of a full scholarship covering all tuition fees from any other source.
How to apply
A link to the online application form is normally sent via email to eligible students in the fall of the preceding academic year. If you have not received the application link by the scholarship deadline please submit an online enquiry for the attention of the Student Funding Office (including your full name, University ID number [as provided in your admissions offer letter] and a brief description of your enquiry). Any requests received after the deadline may be declined.
The application is a web-based form which is submitted electronically to the University. If you experience any technical difficulties completing the form, please contact Funding, Graduation & Awards for advice by submitting an online enquiry or calling +44 (0)121 414 7391.
Regretfully only successful applicants will be contacted and this will normally take place in May.
The University considers applicants based on the information provided in the online application form. We also refer to the transcripts, graduation certificates (if available) and references submitted to the University as part of the admissions process. There is no need for applicants to submit any additional supporting documentation to apply for the scholarship.
The online application form includes general questions about the applicant's academic background and includes short essay-style questions (250 word limit) about academic and extra-curricular achievement. If you are shortlisted you may be requested to complete additional essay style questions for the College in which you plan to study.
Terms and conditions
- Awards are offered for 2018-19 academic year entry only and cannot be deferred.
- Scholarship awards will be deducted from the tuition fees owed to the University of Birmingham.
- In the event that the scholar's tuition fees are more than the scholarship award given, it is the responsibility of the scholar to pay the outstanding amount in full.
- By submitting an application, scholars agree to their name being published as a winner and undertaking any associated promotional activity.
- Scholarships will be awarded on merit by an appointed selection panel; the decision is based on information provided by the applicant in their application form and supporting documentation (e.g academic transcripts, certificates and references)
- The scholarship panel's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into after the published closing date.
- Successful candidates only will be informed in writing by the end of May.
If you do have outstanding questions please contact Funding, Graduation & Awards for advice by submitting an online enquiry, calling +44 (0)121 414 7391 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The USA Birmingham Postgraduate scholarship is only eligible for study at our UK campus.